Tips for Shopping at the Market
- Take your time and have fun browsing. Make going to the market a fun event.
- Stroll all the stands to see what's available before making your decision.
- Go early. You'll find the best selection.
- Ask questions. If you don't know what a food item is, just ask.
- Talk to the producer. Ask how to prepare and cook the item. Get valuable information on even the most common fruits and vegetables.
- Experiment. Don't be afraid to try something new! You may discover a new favorite food to make your summer recipes even richer and sweeter.
- Involve your children. Give them a few dollars and let them buy whatever produce they want to eat. It's a good way to encourage them to eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Introduce a friend to the farmers' market. It may be that the farmers' markets are the best hope for the family farm, especially as we begin to realize the extreme importance of having a food source close to home.
- Familiarize yourself with the market and its producers by visiting it regularly.
The freshness of the fruits and vegetables you will purchase is beyond compare!